Friday, September 26, 2008

Get movin'! (me, that is)

I forgot to mention last week that I have started exercising on an elliptical machine we were given by some friends. They are cleaning out to get ready for a new baby. They didn't really like it anyway, but I don't get that, because I love it. I have never been able to get into treadmills, but this is different, and actually much better for you because of the low impact on your body. It's kind of like a stair master in a circular motion. I just moved it up to level 2, and am at about 15 minutes at a time now. I'm hoping to be at 30 min. within a few weeks. I like also that handle bars are movable, so you get a little upper body workout too.

When Kevin used to frequent the gym (several years ago now), he always said this was his favorite piece of equipment. I have wanted to try one since then, and it was one reason I agreed to fit it into this apartment. But that means it's not in a room I can just shut the door and forget about it. It's actually in the bedroom, so I'm pretty much constantly reminded. That's a good thing, though, considering just dieting doesn't seem to be working like it used to. I knew that day would come, and figured it would be about now, seeing how I'll be 31 the week after next!
Oh, man, that could be a whole other post, I think 31 is gonna be harder to face than 30 was.

Anyway, this also means no more excuses about not being able to go walk. It always seemed to be something. The weather, scheduling around Kevin's weird work schedule, couldn't take Ava or she'd whine the whole time about the playground equipment, or some other something. So now I'm determined to keep it from being a clothes tree, and make it work for me. I've found it's a great time to listen to more than just music, like books on cd, sermons on the radio (I listened to a Charles Stanley broadcast the other night), you can even prop a book or magazine above the display panel thing, but I haven't tried that yet. Not sure how that would work, might cause some kind of motion sickness like reading in the car.

But any which way, I hope I can keep it up, and do highly recommend this machine (or trainer as they call it), to anyone looking for a good cardio workout at home.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those machines. I have a readmill at home (actually in storage...which is doing me no good in there.) They gym at our apartment has those and I really like them, it is a great work out! Good luck with working out! Oh and Jeremy is turning 30 this week, but he is so excited about it!