Sunday, May 25, 2008

Backsliding Already!

I can't believe how long it's been since my last post! And I claimed I would be keeping up better this time. I didn't even do the end of the mommyfest post. Oh well, I'll try to do better next year. We had a pretty busy week last week, but for the most part, I just haven't had much to blog about. We made a couple of trips to Memphis, the second was pretty fun.

One thing we got to do while there was the movies, and with the closest theater now being an hour away, it was a treat. We went to Peabody Place (a mall-type place in the heart of downtown Memphis) to see the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie. It's usually our favorite theater to go to, or at least it was when we lived on Mud Island (nice area way downtown, like right at the river) about four years ago. Unfortunately, it was a bit depressing this trip. Although it was a Thursday, there weren't many people at all there. Some of the stores had closed, including one restaurant we were planning on going to. We ended up eating at Jillians (a three-level games and food place), which was very good (in spite of one three year-old begging to play games). Which we didn't do a whole lot of this time, just as many as the free card that came with the kids meal allowed. I do hope business picks back up soon, and they're able to get in some new stores and restaurants. It's a great addition to downtown, and would be a shame if it just continued to go in this downward direction.

As for the movie, I know I know this installment is not exactly the best pick for a three year-old. But, we don't normally make it through much of any movie with her, and she really liked the first "lion movie" as she calls it. I didn't realize there would be a bit of violence right at the beginning, but then, I did know there was supposed to be more in this one. She was mostly interested in her little kiddie popcorn tray. She did get antsy as usual, but liked the talking animals and was excited to see the lion again. Believe it or not, we got to see the entire thing. Ava did fall asleep about half way through, which helped.
We really liked the movie. I always say the first of movies with sequels is the best, but this one was just as well done. I would love to read the series, but fear the movies may have ruined the chance to enjoy them. I wish I had read them first. The message was good and strong through the movie. The continuing battle of good and evil that will always be timeless. But also about keeping your faith strong even when others don't agree with you... at first. Aslan reappears to one of them after a while of them being away, but the others don't believe he has come back. That is until towards the end, when his help is provided to them when they need it most. The one he appeared to, at first wanted to just go along with the others, but when she decides to renew her faith in him, she's able to get Narnia the help they need to win back their rightful place there.
I know, don't start a movie review career, hope that wasn't too confusing. I am looking forward to the next one that will be out 2010.
Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day tomorrow. Try to stay cool, like don't go outside at all around here! That is unless you enjoy turning into molten lava.

0 comments: