Thursday, August 14, 2008

Trip To The "Better" Walmart

The other day I needed to go to Walmart for just a few things, and since it was the only errand I had that day I decided to make the little trip to the one in Grenada, about 30 min. north of here. I call it the better one, because, well, it is. It's just laid out better, and each department is better supplied. They even have some things they don't carry at the one here. Plus, Ava likes it because they have a game room and little kiddie rides in the lobby. Also, they have a McDonald's in the back with the life-size Ronald sitting on a bench Ava has to visit (and kiss and hug). The drive is not bad, there's some scenery with the hills in the area, and it's a straight shot off 82 on 7. It's still a bit far for regular Walmart trips since ours here is only 5 min. away.

This particular trip ended a little different. As I was about to pull out of the parking lot, I saw a Petco van that had some dogs inside, and the windows were not even cracked open. Although not as blazing hot as usual, it was still very warm, and more so inside a car. I felt so bad for them. They were jumping around barking. I found it ironic the van also had the IDA (In Defense of Animals) logo on the door also. So, I decided to snap a picture (I had the camera because Ava told me on our last trip she wanted me to take a picture of her with Ronald next time), and email the organization.

I sent an email that night, and got this very prompt response:

Hi Amy,
Thank you for writing and for bringing this to our attention. Our staff would never leave a car unattended with dogs in it unless the air conditioning was on. The van you saw was being driven by Doll Stanley,our sanctuary director, and she indeed had the engine running with AC on.We really appreciate your conscientiousness, caring and concern, and we could only hope that others would do the same in your position.
Your email and reminded us that it's time to send out an e-news reminding people to not leave their companions in the car.
Please let me know if there's anything we can do for you in the future.
Thank you for all you do for animals!
Sincerely,
Valerie Mizuhara
In Defense of Animals mailto:Aval@idausa.org

I felt better, but thought it a bit strange they left the van running in such a busy parking lot. I sent one back thanking her for the quick attention and response to the matter, and that I was glad to know they were in good hands. I then got this additional response:

Hi Amy, Thank you for your vigilance. Doll's dog was the one shown in your photo. She is very aggressive when anybody comes near the car, which is another reason Doll has to keep the engine running and windows rolled up.

She also sent this, today:

FYI:http://ga0.org/indefenseofanimals/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=14678535
You reminded us that it was time to send this out.

That made it even better, and I let her know how glad I was the organization is out there, and to extend my thanks to Doll. Glad I thought to snap the picture. And here's the one requested by Ava. (Just as I moved around to get one from the front, she jumped up and ran to play with the little video game they have).



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an ironic picture of the dog in that van. Funny you took a picture, but that was good in case they did leave those dogs in there with no AC! The picture of Ava with Ronald is so cute.