Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Definitely Thanksgiving Time...

Because I have not cooked this much in one day since last Thanksgiving, or maybe Christmas. And I'm not even hosting it at my house! We are actually going to Kevin's mother's. This is the family's first major holiday without their daddy, so it will be different and a little tough. But they all know he's spending this Thanksgiving in heaven, the best place to be for any day.

So, back to the cooking. I have been charged for the past few years with making my variation of green bean casserole and dump cake. I never even really liked green bean casserole until I tried this recipe. I will post it below (I thought I got it off food network's site, but now I can't find it). The biggest difference is the heavy cream and cheese that make it so much better (to me anyway). I am also making homemade macaroni and cheese (also from food network, paula deen's recipe). I'm just trying to cut down on how much Kevin's mother has to do. She's already doing the turkey, dressing (best ever, also makes oyster but I don't eat it), sweet potatoes, and some desserts. Probably some other things I can't think of too. That made me think of something. I meant to ask her if I needed to bring some extra rolls. Oh well, there will probably be plenty. Oh, and I'm also taking a couple gallons of sweet tea. She usually only has diet drinks and sugar-free tea, but I have to have sweet tea on a holiday.

Ok, I'm going to check on the cake. For some reason I always have a hard time getting it done all the way. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Green Bean Casserole

4-5 cans cut green beans
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
2 cups sliced can or jar mushrooms, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white cheddar, cut into small cubes (if I can't find white cheddar, monterey jack does fine)
1 can fried onion rings (family size)

Preheat oven to 350.
In a large skillet, melt butter, then add onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms, cook them til they start to brown.
Stir in soup and cream. Bring to a simmer.
Stir in cheese, melt thoroughly. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Stir in green beans and toss to coat.
Transfer to a buttered casserole dish.
Top with fried onions and bake for 30 min. or bubbly.

0 comments: